Thursday, June 16, 2011

Gazpacho

Several months ago I received a jar of homemade tomato juice cocktail. I enjoy tomatoes in all forms but I couldn't bring myself to open the juice fearing it would spoil before I finished it. When I came across a recipe for Gazpacho I knew I had found the answer.


Gazpacho
recipe adapted from The Pioneer Woman

2 cloves garlic, minced
½ red onion, finely diced
1 large cucumber, finely diced
5 Roma tomatoes, finely diced
1 zucchini, finely diced
2 stalks celery, finely diced
½ teaspoon salt, to taste
4 cups tomato juice
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon white sugar
6 dashes Tabasco
¼ teaspoon black pepper, to taste

In the bowl of a large food processor or in a blender, combine the minced garlic with half the red onion, half the cucumber, half the tomato, half the zucchini, half the celery, half the tomato juice, and all of the olive oil, red wine vinegar, sugar, Tabasco, and salt. Pulse until all ingredients are blended well; mixture will have a nice speckled, colorful texture.

Pour into a large bowl and add the rest of the tomato juice, and the remaining onion, cucumber, tomato, zucchini, and celery. You may wish to reserve a small amount of each diced vegetable for garnish. Stir mixture together and check seasonings, adding salt if needed. Chill soup for at least 2 hours.

Remove the soup from the refrigerator and stir. Ladle into a bowl and garnish with remaining diced vegetables, a sliver of fresh avocado, sour cream, and cilantro. Serve with grilled bread or toasted baguette.