Saturday, June 18, 2011

Chocolate Chip Waffles

I adore breakfast foods and I'm not talking cold cereal and milk. I've been known to eat last night's leftover dessert for breakfast. If donuts are an acceptable breakfast choice than cupcakes should be too!

I made these waffles for breakfast before I discovered I was out of maple syrup. My second plan was to top them with fruit but once again I came up empty handed. Quick perusal of the fridge yielded a lone container of heavy cream. A bit of confectioners' sugar and a little whisking later, my waffles had fluffy whipped cream peaks. I enjoyed these so much I had the leftovers for dessert that same night!


Chocolate Chip Waffles
recipe courtesy of addapinch via Tasty Kitchen

2 cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ tablespoons sugar
1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
¾ cup chocolate chips
2 cups buttermilk
2 eggs
4 tablespoons butter, melted
½ teaspoon vanilla

Whisk together flour, salt, sugar, and baking soda. Toss in chocolate chips and coat well with flour mixture.

Mix together buttermilk, eggs, butter, and vanilla. Pour into dry mixture and stir together just until combined. Pour batter into a waffle iron and cook to your iron’s instructions.

Serve immediately with your favorite syrup or whipped cream.