Sunday, September 4, 2011

Grandma R’s Lemon Squares


My paternal grandmother was a wonderful cook and though she passed away several years before I discovered my love of cooking, I often think of her when I am in the kitchen. When my grandfather passed away I inherited a shoebox full of grandma's recipes lovingly scrawled on index cards. Each one is a little piece of history containing her handwritten notes, amusing doodles, and the occasional ingredient stain. Whenever I am feeling out of sorts, I mixed up a batch of these lemon squares and read through all the treasures concealed in an unassuming shoebox stored high on my closet shelf.



Grandma R’s Lemon Squares
recipe courtesy of  Eating Deliciously

½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
¼ cup confectioners’ sugar (I used granulated sugar)
Pinch salt
1 ½ cups flour, divided
3 large eggs
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
½ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Cream together butter, ¼ cup confectioners’ sugar, and salt until smooth.  Add 1 cup flour and combine just until crumbs form.  Press mixture evenly into 9 x 9 x 2 inch square pan.  Bake 15 to 20 minutes until very lightly browned.  Reduce the oven temperature to 325°F.

Beat the eggs and 1 ½ cups granulated sugar until pale yellow, about 3 minutes.  Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, and remaining ½ cup flour; whisk to combine.  Pour over hot crust and bake about 25 minutes or until no imprint remains when touched lightly.

Cool completely on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar before cutting with a thin, sharp knife into squares.