Saturday, August 13, 2011

Garlic Butter Burgers

One of my favorite local restaurants is a kitschy 50's style diner that is best known for its giant hand-poured malts, milkshakes, juicy cheeseburgers, and crisp French fries. I love a good burger and I have had little success making them at home. When Bobby Flay’s Burgers, Fries, and Milkshakes book was published I was thrilled, the title alone had me drooling. I located a copy at the local bookstore and flipped through the pages. After a few minutes I had mentally bookmarked so many recipes that I knew the book was coming home with me that day. Chef Flay doesn’t like “meatloaf burgers” and uses certified Angus chuck seasoned with salt and pepper. The classic burger is elevated by his creative use of condiments. Below is the first recipe I tried from the book and it was fantastic! No longer will I have to make the trip to my favorite diner to enjoy a delicious burger.


Garlic Butter Burgers
recipe slightly adapted from Bobby Flay's Burgers, Fries, and Shakes

12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 ½ sticks), slightly softened
4 cloves garlic, minced
½ small shallot, minced or grated
3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 ½ pounds ground chuck
1 ½ tablespoons canola oil
4 hamburger buns; split; toasted if desired

Combine the butter, garlic, shallot and parsley in a food processor and process until smooth; season with salt & pepper to taste. Scrape into a bowl, cover, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld. The butter will keep in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. Bring to room temperature before using.

Divide the meat into 4 equal portions. Form each portion loosely into a 1-inch thick patty and make a deep depression in the center with your thumb. Brush the buns with about 4 tablespoons of butter.

Preheat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Season both sides of each burger with salt and pepper and brush with the garlic butter.Cook the burgers, turning once and basting with the remaining garlic butter.

Meanwhile, toast the buns on the grill for a few minutes. Place the burgers on the bun bottoms, cover with the bun tops, and serve immediately.

Cooks Note: I separated the garlic butter used for brushing the burgers into a small bowl. As a result, I had plenty of leftover butter that I was able to freeze for later use. Try the garlic butter as a topping for pasta or vegetables, or just slathered on a piece of bread. Yum!