Monday, December 19, 2011

Guest Post: Proscuitto and Melon Salad

As the holidays approach I like to have a couple of appetizers I can whip up for unexpected guests. Today Hilary from Baking Bad shares a great idea along with several wine pairing suggestions. 


Hello, I am Hilary from Baking Bad and I am so excited to be guest posting for this wonderful blog!   I wanted to share a wonderful appetizer for the holidays or anytime of the year.  My husband and I love to travel, and one of our favorite places in wine country.  While we were out there we tasted prosciutto and melon with a Moscato wine.  A sweet Moscato chilled is the perfect contrast to the salad.  You can also dress the salad up by putting it on a bed of mixed greens and topping with a balsamic reduction.  I have included the base recipe with some Moscato recommendations, and also a balsamic reduction recipe.  Hope you enjoy and head on over to Baking Bad for more delicious treats!



Proscuitto and Melon Salad

For the salad:
1 thinly sliced cantaloupe
½ pound prosciutto di parma

Directions:
Alternate cantaloupe and prosciutto on a platter for serving.  You may also place atop a bed of baby greens with a balsamic reduction.

Balsamic Reduction:
1 ½ cups balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup of brown sugar

Bring vinegar to a boil, turn down the heat and let it simmer. When it reduces halfway, add brown sugar. Simmer some more until it becomes syrupy and sticks to the back of a wooden spoon. As it cools it will thicken up. Store leftovers in fridge for up to a week.

Moscato Recommendations:




Written by:
Hilary from Baking Bad, follow me on Facebook and Twitter