Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Chocolate Syrup

On a quest for a good chocolate sauce, I came across a recipe from David Lebovitz. I adore his recipe for Vanilla Bean Ice Cream so I thought I would give this a try. My sauce did not thicken after cooling but I rewarmed it and poured it over the ice cream. The taste was outstanding but I prefer a thicker topping for ice cream. Not wanting to waste this rich and chocolatey liquid I decided to mix several tablespoons into a glass of cold milk. Perfection! I will never again need to buy those bottles of chocolate syrup in the grocery store.


Chocolate Syrup
recipe courtesy of David Lebovitz

1 cup water
½ cup sugar
½ cup light corn syrup, agave nectar, or glucose
¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder (preferably Dutch-processed)
2 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped

In a medium saucepan, whisk together the water, sugar, corn syrup (or agave or glucose), and cocoa powder. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Once it’s just begun to simmer and boil, remove from heat and stir in the chopped chocolate until melted. Remove from heat and allow to cool for about 3 hours to thicken. Store the chocolate syrup in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.