Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Inside Out Chicken Cutlets Brasciole

I discovered this recipe while browsing Rachael Ray’s Look + Cook book at my local library. Upon returning home, I discovered I had all the ingredients on hand to make this delicious sounding dinner. Immediately I ran into trouble in my attempt to butterfly the chicken breasts. I started by cutting into and across the breast, then in my haste, proceeded to cut all the way through the breast. After several frustrating minutes trying to remedy the problem, I gave up and repeated my “mistake” with the remaining chicken breasts. My chicken cutlets were too thin to stuff so I used the stuffing as a breading mixture to coat the outside of the cutlets. We enjoyed these chicken cutlets with Fennel Roasted Carrots and Parsnips.


Inside Out Chicken Cutlets Brasciole
recipe heavily adapted from Look + Cook by Rachael Ray

1 egg white
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon water
¼ cup pine nuts
1 cup flat-leaf parsley
1 tablespoon lemon zest
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 slices white sandwich bread, torn
½ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
4 pieces boneless, skinless chicken breast
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup dry white wine
2 cups tomato sauce
2 tablespoons fresh tarragon, a few sprigs, leaves chopped

Lightly toast nuts in a small skillet over medium low heat.

Blend egg white, cornstarch and water with a fork in a wide, shallow dish; set aside. Place nuts, parsley, lemon zest, garlic, torn bread and cheese into processor and pulse until coarse crumbs form. Place mixture in a second wide, shallow dish and set aside.

Cut the chicken open by cutting into and across the breast all the way through to the other side. You will have 8 chicken cutlets. Lightly pound out the cutlets and season with salt and pepper. Dip the chicken in the egg mixture then the crumb mixture.

Heat the olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the cutlets until golden brown and cooked through, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to serving plate and tent with foil.

Deglaze pan with wine, scraping up the drippings. Stir in tomatoes and tarragon, add chicken back, cover and simmer 5 minutes until chicken is heated through.