Friday, April 6, 2012

Light and Creamy Asparagus Soup

Despite my best intentions I have failed to keep up a regular posting schedule. There are a variety of reasons but the one that has hampered me the most has been the loss of my computer. I am so thankful that I regularly backup my data files! While I wait for the prognosis from my tech guy, I am trying to figure out posting from my iPhone and failing miserably! The only reason I was able to get this post up is because it has been sitting in my drafts waiting for a better picture. I figure you will forgive me for the less than steller picture once you taste this delicious soup.

If anyone has any tips for posting from their iPhone or any suggestions on a new laptop please leave them in the comments. Thanks!


Light and Creamy Asparagus Soup
recipe courtesy of A Spicy Perspective

2 tablespoons butter
1 small onion, chopped
2 pounds asparagus (2 bunches)
6 cups chicken stock
14 ounce can cannellini beans, drained
1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
1-3 pinches of cayenne
1 lemon
3-4 slices of bacon, chopped

In a large pot, warm the oil/butter over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes.

Cut the tops off the asparagus and reserve for garnish. Cut the rough ends off the bottom.
Chop the rest of the asparagus into short segments and add to the pot.

Sauté asparagus for another 3-5 minutes–until the asparagus in bright in color and tender. Add the beans, stock and cayenne to taste. Simmer for 20 minutes, uncovered.

Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth. Add the yogurt and puree again. Salt and pepper to taste, and add a squeeze of lemon.

Place a small skillet over medium heat. Brown the bacon; then add the asparagus tops to the bacon. Sauté for 1-2 minutes. Drain and garnish the soup with the bacon and asparagus.