Monday, October 3, 2011

Cinnamon Chip Scones

I love all the fresh fruit and vegetables available at my local farmer's market. I enjoy taking my time picking out the best produce and talking to all the farmers. What I don't like about the farmer's market is arriving early enough to get the best picks. Even the allure of fresh vegetables is not always enough to force me out of bed early Saturday morning. One of the vendors at my farmer's market is a bakery that specializes in fresh baked bread. They have an outstanding sourdough but my favorite item is the cinnamon chip scones. The thought of those scrumptious scones are enough to lure me out of my warm bed.



Cinnamon Chip Scones
recipe courtesy of The Pioneer Woman

3 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
5 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter
¾ cup heavy cream
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup cinnamon chips

Topping
½ cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 ½ teaspoons heavy cream

Preheat oven to 350ºF.

In a large bowl, mix together flour, 1/3 cup sugar, ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, and baking powder. Cut butter into pieces, then cut into dry ingredients with a pastry cutter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cinnamon chips.

Mix together cream, egg, and vanilla extract. Pour into flour butter mixture, stirring gently with a fork to combine.

Turn onto work surface (mixture will be very crumbly and falling apart.) Gently press together on the sides as you flatten (or roll, with a rolling pin) the top. Form either into a large circle or a large rectangle. Mix together topping ingredients, stirring with a fork. Sprinkle over the top of the dough, lightly pressing.

Cut into wedges or triangles. Transfer to a cookie sheet and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Allow to cool completely before serving.