Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Slow Cooker Parmesan Garlic Chicken

I love the convenience of using my slow cooker to get a hot meal on the table quickly. Since I am usually gone for at least 10 hours a day during the work week, using the slow cooker with boneless, skinless chicken breasts can be tricky. My slow cooker came with a cooking rack that I usually ignore in favor of dumping my ingredients directly into the removable crock. Because I was only cooking chicken without any vegetables I decided to give the cooking rack a try. I placed the rack in the bottom of the removable crock then placed the chicken on top, added the 3 tablespoons of wine and cooked on low for 8 hours. The cooker automatically switched to warm for the remaining 2 hours. The result was perfectly moist and tender chicken with tons of flavor. I served this alongside leftover Roasted Vegetable Orzo.


Slow Cooker Parmesan Garlic Chicken
recipe courtesy of How Sweet Eats

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
4 tablespoons olive oil
6 tablespoons dry white wine
½ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon pepper
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon dried basil
½ teaspoon dried parsley
¼ cup finely grated parmesan cheese + 2 tablespoons

The night before, season chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Whisk together 3 tablespoons olive oil, cheese, basil, parsley, garlic and 3 tablespoons of wine in a bowl. Place chicken in a large ziptop bag, then pour marinade over top and coat chicken. Keep in the fridge overnight.

The next morning, place chicken in your slow cooker with 3 tablespoons of wine. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Remove chicken from slow cooker and serve with Roasted Vegetable Orzo.